Ever wanted to profit from what you love most? Here’s how.
Today’s guest post comes from our friend, Elspeth Misiaszek!
If you haven’t met her on the interwebz yet, you most definitely should! Here’s a little about her:
Elspeth Misiaszek is the innovator behind eMarketing Copywriter.
As a copywriter and marketing strategist for vegans, coaches and entrepreneurs, she’s worked with 100s of businesses to help them profit from their passions.
Find her on Twitter @Elspeth81.
Take it away, Elspeth!
As a marketing copywriter who has been earning her living for over 4 years as a pen-for-hire (and over 7 years as an entrepreneur), I feel like it’s time to address one of the biggest myths in the blogosphere about business:
There is no such thing as overnight success.
Every single day, I see headlines proclaiming, “Build a 6-Figure Business in Just 10 Weeks,” and “How We Made $400,000 with Speaking Engagements in Just 6 Months.” There’s just one little piece of the puzzle everyone leaves out; the hard work.
So, really, I have two points that I want to make here:
- Your success depends on you. You need to define what success means for you and your family. Maybe you just want to take one more great vacation a year, or hope to max out your 401K contributions. Your business goal doesn’t mean you need to be shooting for a seven-figure income, my friend.The beautiful thing about defining your own path in life means that you get to withhold the right to choose. The pursuit of money, as it’s defined in the modern world, might not be your goal. Be ok with whatever decision you make, and allow your own sense of accomplishment to be your guide on this incredible journey.
- There is no such thing as “Instant Success.” For some reason, by the time a business enjoys moderate success and starts telling the world about it, the business owner tends to leave out the late nights and long hours. Recognize that everything you do in life that’s worth doing will require hard work, dedication, and unique efforts.Typically, the progression looks more like a mushroom; you will work your butt off for several months to set-up your business structure and attract clients, and then progress into a rhythm of how much you work. This is no different with a career in blogging; you will write every single day until you go cross-eyed in addition to orchestrating marketing efforts outside of your wirting time.
When you decide to profit from your passions, this does, in fact, mean that you decide to do what you love and love what you do. It means that you take a committed set of actions to get yourself into just the right spot where you will love your job, and, hopefully, love your life.
Are you ready for the second piece of the puzzle? Marketing strategy is the secret to get your little business baby to walk all by itself. And the examples include everything and anything under the marketing sun:
- Speaking engagements
- Advertising / paid ads
- Blog tours / guest blogging
- Email marketing
- Book publishing
- Social media
- Business networking
- Job forums / sites
Within each category of marketing, you must employ a strategy that is going to attract the right type of business into your fold. Let’s assume that you have a vegan coaching blog. To build an audience:
- Where do vegans hang out?
- How do you want to sell to them?
- Who is connected to them?
- What do vegans buy?
- What will they pay for?
Once we answer a few questions about our niche market, we need to decide which marketing strategies we’re going to use to actually earn money from our vegan coaching blog.
We need to decide on a strategy that lets us profit from our passions. And then we need to put it into play in a meaningful way that helps us make the most of every single action we take.
Which strategy from the list above would you like to choose? Tell me in the comments below and we’ll see if a follow up blog can make it’s way into the mix for you!
About the Author: Elspeth Misiaszek is the innovator behind eMarketing Copywriter. As a copywriter and marketing strategist for vegans, coaches and entrepreneurs, she’s worked with 100s of businesses to help them profit from their passions. Find her on Twitter @Elspeth81.